Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Seoul by day

One morning I really didn't feel like having rice or noodles for breakfast so I asked if it was possible to have something different. Shinyoung (after a while though) came up with the idea that we could have bagels. It had been a long time since I last had a bagel - not since in New York last summer - so I was pretty fond of that idea. She told me about a place she really likes and then we headed in that direction.


The place is really small - especially the ground floor where only 8-10 people can be seated. Upstairs there's more room but we decided to sit downstairs since there wasn't really any view upstairs.




So many notes on the wall, all sorts of things ranging from people saying how much they love the place to small poems and various other stuff.


I think I had the egg and ham bagel [after review it turns out that I actually had a sandwich in stead since it was part of a combo, and cheaper than the bagel; thanks for noting honey and don't worry about it:-)] but even after looking closer at the photo I'm still not sure. What I do remember was one annoying thing - for some reason Koreans like putting (American) cheese in many things without noting it on the menu. For instance, one of the other bagels had two main ingredients and then cheese (it said so on the menu). But for some reason they failed to notify the customer that the egg and ham bagel also comes with cheese...


Thank goodness I could enjoy my pineapple and orange smoothie.




The wall is full of great Parisian style photos and artwork (or so I remember it to be).




After enjoying the bagels I just felt in the mood to try the Belgian style waffle they offered. It was really good but in hindsight too expensive, especially compared to other places that also served Belgian waffles. We really enjoyed it anyway and that is the most important thing. It came with two scoops of ice cream, one was raspberry the other green tee.


We headed towards one of Shinyoung's absolute favourite areas in Seoul - Samcheongdonggil (in Jongno-gu). On the way we walked through an area where we had been on New Years eve but because it was dark and incredibly cold that night (on our way to OKitchen) I couldn't enjoy it back then. Although this day wasn't exactly warm it felt much better and I got a chance to look around and discover the variety that Seoul also offers.


We wanted to visit this house where some kind of craftmanship is being done but as we approached we saw a woman locking up and leaving (for lunch probably) so we settled for a picture.




This even looks...hmmm...cool?


Walking past this gallery and restaurant intrigued me and we went inside to check out the menu, both lunch and dinner since we thought about a light lunch and also considered dining in the area sometime. Although everything looked great we didn't go and it was kind of pricey in there.












So after walking around the area we took a cab to go to Gyeonbokgung. It's the Palace of Shining Happiness.
http://www.visitseoul.net/jsp/english_new/see/ts01_01_01.jsp?template_id=103&info_id=1010000005&onloadset2_num=1







Looking at a solar clock








Looking down towards Geunjeongmun Gate [upon review this is a barrigate? at the front gate?].


The Geunjeongjeon is where the kings where crowned and other formal ceremonies were performed here too


Me in front of the Gyeonghoeru Pavillon


From a different angle. I just love the mountains sorrounding the city - when they are visible, everything looks more intriguing.


Angle #3 - check out the ice on the pond






The Amisan is in the background


N'Tower far far away




There are also harubangs to be found in Gyeongbokgung


Who's there?




Normally I would have gone up the stairs all the way to the top, just to check it out and see the view but it was so cold that day that I didn't. Next time I will though...












Gwanghwamun Gate by night, it looks awesome - and don't think it's tacky, it's great!


We didn't have dinner in a fancy place that evening - kind of my decision since I just felt like having dumplings. I had read about this place where they do it in a more country style (and old school) way. It tasted great and the atmosphere was very relaxed and the service was very friendly.


I just love dumplings!

2 Comments:

At 11:33 PM, Blogger shinyoung said...

you do? :-) i will make dumplings for you next time. by the way you had a sandwich instead of bagle, because i made you so....saying it's cheaper all together with a juice..! and i regret that! i forgot that you thought having a bagle was an excellent idea for a moment.. also, it is a barrigate at the construction feild at Gyeongbok palace front gate..

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Talentlos said...

help me out here, i'm still not sure where to make the correction...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home