Thursday, January 17, 2008

Itaewon

For the first time while I was in Seoul it was snowing. We got off at Sinchon because we had to transfer to the metro to go to Itaewon. Also, I wanted to get a cd with Ryan Adams & The Cardinals which I had seen earlier in this store but I didn't remember whether or not I had ordered on-line just before Christmas. I checked my inbox and discovered that I hadn't bought it so I wanted to go to the music store again. Shinyoung told me earlier that the store is quite famous for having alternative genres.


People crossing the street outside of Yonsei University in the grey and snowy weather.


One of the most interesting features of traffic in Seoul (mentioned elsewhere on this blog) is the long periods of waiting for pedestrians at most traffic lights. You'll often see people running to cross the street in time before the cars get the green lights for 3-4 minutes.


She looks so great every day!


I decided that I wanted to have a little food since it was gonna be a while until we would get to Itaewon. And I just love street food.


So we sat down for a few minutes.


Before we went to Itaewon Shinyoung had promised to take me to Tech Mart - a newly build department store for electronic equipment. The building had its own stop on the metro line and when we exited it looked like something we saw when we were in Vegas. Quite similar to Ceasar's Palace with romanesque statues and artwork, not done in marble though...


But man it was clean


The floor plan


I didn't show any photos of my new laptop on purpose


This poster is seen in quite many places. It's a warning about North Korean spies and a phone number to call if you see anything suspicious


We went to Itaewon to discover the very different atmosphere of the area due to the many foreigners who either live in or frequent the area. There is an American military base in the vicinity which the area caters to and funny enough the area also houses the gay community which is otherwised banned in the rest of the city (and country).


This staircase leads up to a restaurant which owned by a former popular tv host who came out as being openly gay a few years back. It caused a lot of debate and he left the screen (I think he was fired but I'm not sure). You can see a photo of him on the menu actually. And funny enough, as we were standing there to do the photo, the first obvious gay couple walked past us.






We went for pizza this evening and it was quite good.








Oh, the orange bag in my left hand is the Xnote I bought.


The OKitchen - the other one;-)






I have no idea why this photo is here - sorry!


One long, long trip back on the train...not exactly comfortable to sit this close to other people.

2 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger shinyoung said...

fun as always! i couldnt help myself but giggling, reading the last line! yes, you dont look comfortable enough!

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Talentlos said...

i'm happy i can make you giggle sweetie:-) i wasn't comfortable, my back couldn't rest properly on against the side wall and i had to squeeze my shoulders together...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home